The (NVQ) Diploma in Floor covering Occupations at Level 2 will develop knowledge and skills in areas such as:
- assessing and evaluating conditions for floor coverings in the workplace and installing floor coverings
- assessing and preparing background surfaces for floor coverings
- setting out for laying floor coverings in the workplace
- preparing and fitting under lays for floor coverings
- joining and repairing textile floor coverings in the workplace.
This qualification is available through training providers and colleges.
Purpose of this Qualification
This qualification is aimed at those who are in work and are looking for recognition of their prior learning and experience.
Its primary purpose is to confirm the learner’s occupational competence in laying floor coverings. As a work-related, competence-based qualification it provides confirmation to employers, industry managers and card schemes that the learner has the skills and knowledge needed to meet the nationally recognised standard to carry out the role.
Learners who achieve this qualification can use it to gain employment, to progress in the industry, or to work towards another qualification (see Progression).
The qualification is designed to meet the following objectives:
- supporting a role in the workplace
- knowledge, understanding and skills
What does this qualification cover?
As this is a competence-based qualification, learners will be acquiring the knowledge and skills required through on-the-job experience or in a learning environment.
To achieve the whole qualification, learners need a minimum of 119 credits. They must complete 10 mandatory units plus two optional units from the qualification structure.
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is suitable for:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- people in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- individuals who wish to start their own business
- individuals who wish to start their own business in the construction industry
- learners with no prior experience
- learners not in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- full-time and part-time employees
- school and college students with a part-time job or work experience that enables them to develop the appropriate skills in the workplace
Entry to the qualification is at the discretion of the centre.
There are no specific skills, knowledge understanding or any other qualifications that must be achieved in order to start this qualification, however learners must have the potential and opportunity to gain this qualification successfully.
This qualification is mainly taken by individuals who are employed (or seeking employment) as a floorlayer.
This qualification is not part of any apprenticeship programme.
The (NVQ) diploma in Floorcovering Occupations (Construction) Level 2 may lead to advancement in employment within the construction industry or to further education.